When should you conduct a site inspection?

  • The standard requires that a competent person inspect an excavation and the areas around it daily for possible cave-ins, failures of protective systems and equipment, hazardous atmospheres, or other hazardous conditions. Inspections also are required after natural events such as heavy rains or manmade events such as blasting that may increase the potential for hazards.
  • Supervisors are the contractor’s representatives on the job. Supervisors should conduct inspections, investigate accidents, and anticipate hazards. They should ensure that employees receive on-the-job safety and health training. They also should review and strengthen overall safety and health precautions to guard against potential hazards, get the necessary worker cooperation in safety matters, and make frequent reports to the contractor.
  • I’ve damaged a line. Now what?
    If there is a possibility that the damage may pose a threat to the health and safety of the public, call 911 in order to dispatch local officials who will determine whether the community is in immediate danger. Next, according to state law, it is the responsibility of the excavator to notify the affected utility company directly after damage occurs. State law prohibits the contractor from attempting to repair the line, or backfilling before the line has been repaired by the utility company. We also recommend you report the incident to the appropriate regulatory agency.
  • I need to dig very close to the markings. How deep are the underground lines?
    The depth of underground facilities vary, therefore state law requires excavators to use non-mechanical means when digging within 18″ of a marked underground facility. The current depth of a facility might not be the same as when it was originally installed, due to soil erosion, grading and many other factors. To ensure the safety of excavators and avoid utility disruption, it makes sense to hand dig when working near an underground facility.

Reporting an Emergency

To report an emergency, file a complaint, or seek OSHA advice or assistance, call 1-800-321-OSHA. You can also visit the website at www.osha.com for more information on federal and state programs.


NATIONAL GRID GAS 800-548-8000


EVERSOURCE 800-662-7764